Purpose of the Turkish Military Academy
The Turkish Military Academy (TMA) is a military institution whose mission is to educate, train and develop military leaders who have
- the qualifications of a military personnel stated in the Turkish Armed Forces Internal Service Law and the Regulatory Code of Military Academies,
advanced leadership qualities and are able to lead and command in varied complex and exceptional circumstances,
- developed a high standard of personal physical fitness,
- had undergraduate degree education on the required science branches and training on battlefield disciplines of soldiering with developed intellectual qualities and professional knowledge,
- developed professional competence as a warrior leader through education, training and self-improvement,
and provide graduate level education in the areas set by Turkish Land Forces.
The main principles of the education and training at TMA
In the planning, organization and conduct of education and training at TMA, the following main principles are taken into consideration:
- Cadets are to develop service awareness and profession of arms with respect to Atatürk's principles and reforms, Atatürk nationalism, principles of democratic, secular, social constitutional state in the framework of Kemalist Thought System.
- Cadets are provided with willpower and comradeship which will booster their spirit of national unity.by preserving our national culture, customs and traditions in the universal norms.
Academic and military training programs and curriculum are designed based upon modern scientific and technological principles in the framework of national and international standards of undergraduate education and the demands of Turkish Land Forces as well as providing cadets the necessary background to receive graduate level education.
Increasing the efficiency of the TMA, development and training the teaching staff, are planned and carried out by the Land Forces Command, within the framework of the directives and principles of Turkish General Staff.
Cadets are inculcated with systematic mode of thought and discipline, creativity and appreciation of modern democracy, belief in the ideals of Constitution and rule of law and are expected to develop attitudes accordingly.
At TMA, student-centered active teaching and learning methods are applied. Military training is planned on four spheres of activities (training-shooting- physical ability- supply and maintenance).
In performance of any activity, the development of students' environmental awareness is of primary importance.
Cadets are encouraged to deal with fine arts, appreciate artistic works of high value and to be engaged in at least one of the Olympic sports branches.
It is ensured that the cadets are visionary, and they have intellectual curiosity and imagination in professional and social domains.
The Mission of the Turkish Military Academy
- In compliance with the goals and principles indicated in the Military Academy Law and Regulations;
- The qualities required for military personnel are described in Turkish Armed Forces Internal Service Law item Number 39 and Turkish Armed Forces Internal Service Regulation item Number 86. These qualities include the items which are broadly mentioned below as;
- Conduct with honor, honesty and integrity,
- Having absorbed the Kemalist thought system and made it a way of living,
- Strongly devoted to the principles of Ataturk, Kemalist revolutions, the fundamental ideals of the Constitution, and defending these qualities under the most hazardous and demanding circumstances.
- Demonstrate loyalty, pride and love of Turkish Republic and proudly serve to Turkish nation.
- Discharge all civic duties in compliance with laws and regulations of Turkish Republic.
- Respect and uphold the nation’s cultural values and traditions,
- Appreciate and demonstrate the values and ethical standards of military profession and Turkish Army, and the essence of comradeship,
- Having the skills and features of a leader, a manager and a commander,
- Having physical fitness and toughness required for the profession
- Within the framework of military command and conduct;
- Command and conduct of a battle.
- Command and conduct of a military unit (Team and Company / Battery level) in peacetime.
- Management and administration of unit training.
- In compliance with properties and requirements of the Turkish Land Forces and Gendarmerie Forces, the TMA shall provide future commissioned officers with a bachelor’s degree in one of the basic sciences, engineering or social sciences and should provide more than one graduate program if ordered by the Turkish Land Forces.
- The overarching goals of the Academic program in TMA are to graduate commissioned officers who
- accomplish missions with an understanding of modern and scientific approaches in compliance with the Constitution of Turkish Republic, and Ataturk’s principles and reforms that are the fundamental ideals of Turkish Republic.
- can communicate clearly and effectively with a range of audiences both orally and in writing.
- have been imparted with historical knowledge and developed an appreciation of history.
- gained the necessary background to associate their knowledge and skills with the principles and methods of decision-making in complex and dynamic environments.
- appreciate and recognize the desire of continued intellectual development through textual analysis and formulate critical questions
- have acquired a foreign language well enough to follow current scientific publications on his/her profession and branch.
- have gained information about the general features of other services.
- By the military training program during the academic year and Military Summer Training at the end of the academic year, the aim is to graduate officers who;
- Have commitment to Turkish Armed Forces and military life, be aware of the fact that the profession needs “specialization”, and be dedicated to the profession knowing that it is more than a profession; it is a life style,
- Know that the code of discipline is the foundation of military service and make the use of it in behavior,
- Learn, along with the positive aspects, how to face the challenges of the military profession and fully prepares himself/herself for the occupation,
- Were trained against insurgency and counter-insurgency, learned about counter-intelligence, personal security and confidentiality,
- Can follow the basic professional training and education at the team level which will be provided at the branch schools after graduation, acquired the basic skills and battlefield disciplines of soldiering that will be the foundation of future assignments; acquired the features for commanding and training the staff and units under his/her command,
- Acquired various branches and weapons’ tactical usage throughout battalion task force and company team, logistics principles, combat support and combat service support systems and define, analyze and solve the complex problems encountered in an increasingly technical and diverse military environment
- By the Leadership Training Program the aim is to graduate officers who;
- Have developed the attributes and qualities of character such as integrity, dedication, willpower, courage and loyalty,
- Have mastered the spirit of teamwork and esprit de corps,
- By the Military Shooting Training program the aim is to graduate officers who;
- Demonstrate high ability and competence at the employment of arms and shooting,
- Believe that competence at shooting is an indispensable feature of an officer
- Be trained as a skillful shooting instructor,
- Have reached to the level of a sniper,
- By the Physical Training and Sports Program, the aim is to graduate commissioned officers who;
- Believe that exercise is essential for his/her health and profession,
- Have a habit and awareness of doing exercise,
- Have reached to the level of “Trainer” at units on basic Physical Training and Battle Physical Training.
- To conduct the administrative activities, practices, practical training, scientific research and development required by education and training.
- To do scientifically applied research with particular attention to defense and security at the disposal of the Armed Forces with a close collaboration with other organisms within and outside the Armed Forces
- To provide opportunities for the teaching staff in delivering their studies in national and international military and scientific journals, conferences and symposiums.