In support of academic education, TMA Library aims to support academic and military education in the TMA, enrich the general knowledge of cadets, instructors and other staff and provide materials containing different variety of information for the purpose of spending their free time efficiently and to provide them make the best use of the materials.
The TMA Library has the seating capacity of 450 people and the book collection is designed according to DEWEY Decimal Classification Chart and in service of the users on the three floors with open shelf system.
On the first floor, Atatürk Collection, references, periodicals and DVD collection
On the second floor, Foreign Language Education Center, audiovisual materials, Linguistics, Basic and Applied Sciences publications,
On the third floor, General Subjects, Philosophy, Religion, Social Sciences, Art/Sports, Literature, History/Geography publications are in use.
New publications on every scientific and cultural subject are regularly bought. Turkish and English periodicals with scientific and cultural contents and daily newspapers are regularly bought through subscription and in use.
Researches are provided with reference service if demanded.
The ILL service to academic and administrative personnel is provided in cooperation with the Bilkent and METU libraries.
TMA Library has subscription to various electronic online databases and all the computers with internet access can reach to the thousands of scientific journals and e-books on line.
Users can photocopy free of charge up to 10 pages of non-borrowable materials.
Book donations are admitted on the purpose of supporting the education and scientific and cultural needs of cadets.
The cadets and personnel who made best use of the library are awarded periodically.
The library is open 7 days a week between the hours 08.00 and 21.00 During the exam weeks the library closes at 2300. The cadets, TMA personnel and graduate students can borrow five books for 15 days and the researches can borrow ten books for 15 days. The readers can renew the books once for another 15 days. Encyclopedias, dictionaries, references, thesis-projects and last issues of periodicals are non-borrowable.
The decree of Sultan Mahmud II laid the foundation of Turkish Military Academy in 1834 and it was opened with a ceremony that the Sultan attended on 1 July 1835. During his visit on that day, the Sultan took a rest in the Academy Library for a while. The Library served in different buildings as a requirement of the political, military and social conditions of the era throughout the course of the history and sometimes due to the lack of capacity.
Turkish Military Academy moved to Ankara on 25 September 1936 and opened in its new building named Atatürk Site. The period of education which was 2 years was prolonged to three years in 1948. Then when we came to 1963, it was shortened as 2 years and in 1971 it again became a 3-year school. Finally in 1974 it was decided to be a 4-year school. It gained the status of “university” among “the Institutes of Higher Education” after the Military Academy Code was passed in Turkish Parliament on 11 May 2000 and issued in the Official Gazette on 17 May 2000.
Ataturk Site, which has the Academy Headquarters and Anafartalar Battallion currently, was the home for the Library between 1936 and 1983. The construction of 13 Mart Complex, which hosts the library and social facilities started in October 1997. The building’s construction and interior design was completed in September 1999. The complex was opened by the then Land Forces Commander Gen.Atilla ATEŞ and (Ret.) Gen.Doğu AKTULGA on 27 September 1999. It has been there since then.